Saturday, September 26, 2009

Precious Power of Prayer

This week my primary lesson is on prayer so it has given me lots of time to ponder on what a beautiful blessing it is to be able to speak with my Father in Heaven anytime I need. I decided that I would try teaching Halle about personal prayers for the first time, she always has family prayer with us, but I have never had personal prayer with her. So this week before I put her to bed, I showed her how to kneel by her crib and I held her close as I said a simple little prayer talking as if it were Halle instead of me to show her what to say if she were to say the prayer. Instantly she stopped her wiggling and just looked at my face with the most precious peaceful look on her face. When the prayer was done I layed her in her crib and she continued to look so peaceful. I told her that I loved her and I left the room. Usually, she cries for a few minutes before she falls asleep, but not that night. She didn't make a single noise and when I went to check on her a few minutes later, she was peacefully sleeping. It brings tears to my eyes to think about how lucky I am to have such a wonderful little example in my home of being sensitive to the spirit. Even if she didn't understand all the words I was saying, she still was able to recognize the spirit and the peace that it brings. It is no wonder that little children are heirs to the celestial kingdom.

3 comments:

Kacey said...

That is soo cute and so true! We have been trying to teach Brooklyn how to pray too, and it usually makes ends up with me all teary!

Sarah South said...

What a sweet story! I know I couldn't get through motherhood without prayer!

Jim amd Amy Moser said...

Thank you for sharing such a special experience. I'm sure she remembers her heavenly home that she left not so long ago. We can learn so much from our dear, sweet children.